The goal of the Contextualise activity within CLARIAH-VL is to build a user-friendly Linked Open Humanities Data Tool Suite that helps humanities researchers model, contextualise, publish and inter-link their humanities research data. This is important given that identifying and recording entities (e.g. people, places, dates etc.) and their relations (e.g. events) from a range of historical sources is a key activity of researchers in a broad range of humanities disciplines records that in the digital age have increasingly been linked to a proliferation of open humanities reference services.
The Linked Open Humanities Data Tool Suite consists of two main components:
1. Entity Referencing Toolkit
The Entity Referencing Toolkit will help humanities researchers contextualise, model and extract nameable entities from texts.
- Basic platform and data model
- Basic data interpretation and reporting (User & Data Management System)
- Data export & import tool ( design, implementation APIs, assessment)
- Final platform (evaluation, testing and documentation)
2. LOD Creation and Publication Toolkit
This toolkit will provide a user-friendly, easily accessible web platform to encourage researchers to publish their valuable data, and enable contextualization in the process.
- Design of methodology of research-driven thematic datasets
- Aggregation of data from large-scale data collections
- Organisation of three workshops or humanities datathons
- Event 1: workshop to assess research needs
- Event 2: humanities datathon theme: extraction
- Event 3: humanities datathon: theme analysis
- Workflow Documentation